Mr Bulaev was born on 1 September 1949 in the village of Cossack Sloboda (Shatsky District, Ryazan Region).
In 1970 he graduated from the Ryazan State Pedagogical Institute as a teacher of physics and mathematics.
1978 – 1990 – director of the Spassky Pedagogical College.
1990 – Deputy Chairperson of the Executive Committee of Ryazan Region.
1991 – 1994 – Deputy Head of Ryazan Region – Director of the Complex on Social Protection and Social Guarantees.
1994 – 1999 – Principal of the Ryazan Regional Institute of Education Development.
1999 – 2007 – Deputy of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation of the third and fourth convocations.
2007 – 2010 – Head of the Federal Agency on Education.
2010 – 2015 – Deputy of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation of the sixth convocation.
2015 – 2016 – Member of the Council of the Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation representing the legislative (representative) body of the Government of the Ryazan Region. Member of the Committee of the Council of the Federation on Science, Education and Culture.
10 February 2016 he was appointed a Member of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation by the order of the Council of the Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation.
28 March 2016 he was elected as Deputy Chairperson of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation.
Mr Bulaev is awarded with the Order of Alexander Nevsky, the Order of Merit, the Order of Amity, the Order for Services to the Fatherland (IV degree). He has the title of the Honored Teacher of the Russian Soviet Federal Socialist Republic (1989), a holder of the Award of the Government of the Russian Federation in the field of Education, Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor.
The Deputy Chairperson of the CEC of Russia manages the organization of work in the following areas:
1. control over the observance of electoral rights (the right to participate in a referendum) of certain categories of voters (participants in a referendum):
military, law enforcement officers,
persons with disabilities,
persons in places of detention of suspects and accused persons under house arrest,
citizens of the Russian Federation living outside the territory of the Russian Federation or being in long-term foreign business trips, other citizens who are outside the territory of the Russian Federation,
citizens living in remote and inaccessible areas;
2. interaction with judicial and law enforcement authorities on the preparation and conduct of elections and referendums, ensuring and protecting electoral rights and the right to participate in referendums of citizens of the Russian Federation, uniform application of the legislation of the Russian Federation on elections and referendums;
3. participation in the formation of election commissions and referendum commissions of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation;
4. control over the sources of origin, accounting and use of election funds, referendum funds, verification of financial statements of candidates, electoral associations, initiative groups for a referendum, initiative campaigning groups;
5. control over the sources and amounts of property received by political parties in the form of entrance and membership fees, donations of citizens and legal entities, as well as sources of funds and other property of political parties received as a result of transactions, verification of consolidated financial reports of political parties and information on the receipt and expenditure of funds of political parties;
6. organization of the system of financing elections and referendums, activities of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation, subordinate institutions, election commissions of the Russian Federation, other election commissions and referendum commissions, operation and development of automation tools, training of election administrators and voters, informing voters, distribution of funds allocated from the federal budget for these purposes and control over their use;
7. formulation of main directions of development, requirements for the use and operation of SAS “Vybory” in accordance with federal legislation, the coordination of the use, operation and development of SAS “Vybory”, monitoring the use, maintenance and development; maintaining security of official website of the CEC of Russia, official websites of the election commissions of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation on the Internet, created on the Internet portal of the SAS “Vybory”; monitoring of the implementation of the decisions of the CEC of Russia by the FCI under the CEC of Russia;
8. development of standards of technological equipment (voting booths, ballot boxes) for precinct commissions, as well as control over the organization of the purchase of this technological equipment during the elections to the federal bodies of state power, the referendum of the Russian Federation;
9. verification of the accuracy of information on candidates submitted in accordance with the legislation;
10. questions on the organization of video surveillance and image broadcasting in premises for voting ;
11. interaction with public authorities of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation, local authorities on issues related to the preparation and conduct of elections and referendums, interaction with election commissions of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation;
12. establishment of standards according to which electoral documents, documents related to the preparation and conduct of the referendum, organization of the production of documents, including ballots, special signs (stamps), absentee ballots, organization of their delivery, storage, transfer to the archive;
13. organization of work of the Information center of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation;
14. organization of anti-corruption activities;
15. organization of administrative and economic activities of the CEC of Russia.
The Deputy Chairperson coordinates the following activities:
1. consideration of complaints on decisions and actions (inaction) of election commissions of constituent entities of the Russian Federation, their officials, complaints on decisions of district election commissions on elections of deputies of the state Duma of Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation on refusal in registration of candidates;
2. organization of rapid response (visit to the constituent entities of the Russian Federation, additional checks, other forms of response) of the Central Election Commission of the Russian Federation to incoming appeals (complaints) of representatives of political parties and other citizens about violations during election campaigns;
3. consideration of citizens' appeals;
4. preparation of opinions on compliance of laws and other regulatory legal acts of constituent entities of the Russian Federation with the Federal Law “On basic guarantees of electoral rights and the right to participate in the referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation” and other federal laws regulating electoral rights and the right to participate in the referendum of citizens of the Russian Federation;
5. monitoring of law enforcement activities and preparation of proposals to improve law enforcement practice and legislation.
Interaction with constituent entities of the Russian Federation
The Republic of Altai, the Republic of Dagestan, the Republic of Crimea, the Moscow Region, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Sevastopol.